Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Guilty by Association

In this here article tribalism, sects or groups mean the same thing.
I welcome corrections and criticism



We form a bias on people based on their views and we do this by grouping them along with anyone we know share such views.
In a study published in a book in February 2018, Political Tribes, by Yale Law School’s Amy Chua, humans are hardwired for tribalism. If this is so, even thinking or attempting not to be tribal is an uphill battle.
When you are in the out in a society of common thinking, tribalism affects you. You will be battling with people trying to stop them from placing you into groups and embrace the liberalism that comes with this present-day modernization.
                                                                            ***
I was called, tainted by the devil by a close friend because of my religious view. I was called confused because my view of God doesn't place me here or there in people's understanding of what "Atheism" or "Agnosticism" is. Being an individual with a view is now classified as confusion or pretense of a deep longing to eat your cake and have it. People believe you want to be part of a group and not obey the rules of that group.
So, before you open your mouth, some people have already classified and grouped you because of the view of "…that is how people like that think." "This is the way people who look like this think..."
The funny one for me is when a black man from my community says "…you cannot understand because you do not know the experience people like us face." These views will continue to isolate us from reaching a common ground of individualism.

In Africa where I am, we try to fight tribalism and keep some parts of it by saying, you do not throw the dirty water with the baby. Failing to see that the said baby itself (which is culture) is the problem. Since we will not disown or address or cultural bias, the baby has wondered off leaving stains of muddy water everywhere. As a community we stand there holding a big bowl of water filled with the dirt of tribalism and group appropriations.
An example of the baby causing more damage than good is the whole anti-LGBT movement and trying to enforce religious rules. First, this has not made us more forward thinking or advanced than the west. Second, it is causing the best of us to leave the continent and seek life elsewhere. Majority of the people who seek asylum elsewhere after leaving Africa sight LGBT or religious issues.
I have heard people say the seekers are just looking for greener pastures and are lying that these issues affect them. I in turn reply to them, "but these issues do exist and the only way they can be lying is if these issues don't exist."

The bias in our views is so rampant that when I say to people in my community, “I see nothing wrong with someone being gay, trans or any other sexual orientation they choose. They should be allowed to live free, get married and try to be happy.”
Most people ask me, “what church do you go to?”
This is odd for me because my community has as much Muslims as they are Christians, but I have never been asked... "are you a Muslim?"
Neither religion in my community accepts LGBT into their congregation. Regardless, people believe you must be of the less rigid Christian folks.
When I reply, "I do not believe in God."
They give out this, "oh!" and try to make me see how the devil has won my heart and how the west has corrupted my view.
                                                                         ***
All the "this is how we do things..." "we do not say things like this..." must end. All it has done is to further divide people into more groups than there should be.
This is a world problem and not just Africa and we must realize that all these groupings be it sexual, political or race will never make things better. In Africa where it is more pronounce, we must admit and stop lying to ourselves that we are better than the west in somethings. It does not add up, when those things are the same reason your economy and standard of living has left you grouped in the third world category.


Picture from pexels.com by rawpixels.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment